Hi Ying,

I was also thinking about your KIP yesterday I second Gwen on this. There
are several other authorization components that are compatible with Kafka
and putting this in there means that each and every component has to
implement this functionality.
At the first read I thought that this functionality could be a good
extension of the API_VERSIONS protocol where based on a dynamic config
(producer.min.api.version or consumer.min.api.version) the brokers would
reject certain clients that are too old.  And based on the motivation, to
avoid certain bugs with certain producer/consumer version, we might not
need finer grained control over this which I think also plays for the
config approach.

Cheers,
Viktor