I think the motivation of the KIP is to configure which API we want to allow
for a broker.
This is challenging for a hosted service where you have customers with
different versions of clients.
It's not just about down conversion but for example transactions, there is a
case where we do not want to allow users to start using transactions and there
is no way to disable to this right now and as specified in the KIP, having a
lock on which client versions we support.
Authorizer's original purpose is to allow policies to be enforced for each of
the Kafka APIs, specifically in the context of security.
Extending this to a general purpose gatekeeper might not be suitable and as
mentioned in the thread every implementation of authorizer needs to
re-implement to provide the same set of functionality.
I think it's better to add an implementation which will use a broker's dynamic
config as mentioned in approach 1.

Thanks,
Harsha