Hi Kafka devs,

I'd like to propose KIP-488 as a minor cleanup of some of our metric
implementations.

KIP-488: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/kkAyBw

Over time, iterative updates to these metrics has resulted in a pretty
confusing little collection of classes, and I've personally been
involved in three separate moderately time-consuming iterations of me
or someone else trying to work out which metrics are available, and
which ones are desired for a given use case. One of these was actually
a long-running bug in Kafka Streams' metrics, so not only has this
confusion been a time sink, but it has also led to bugs.

I'm hoping this change won't be too controversial.

Thanks,
-John