Following this thread, I wonder if it doesn't make sense to add the system repo as local repo:

org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.localRepository=file:${karaf.home}/${karaf.default.repository}

and override the default m2 settings with an empty one in Karaf:

org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.settings=${karaf.home}/${karaf.default.repository}/settings.xml

by default, and document how to switch back to Maven "local user configuration".

It would avoid to populate the .m2/repository and force to use the artifacts from the system repo (so very close to what we have in Karaf 2.x).

WDYT ?

Regards
JB