Basically, the way I see it, in a developer setting, using your
.m2/repository makes sense as it's likely to have tons of libraries there
already. On production/staging/testing servers, however, it's far more
likely to contain things as much as possible. For instance, I may wish to
run Karaf as a user that has no home directory.

--
Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>