Hi all,

we're workig on a Karaf based product and have the requirement to use
the JVM we ship with the product. We thought that might also be
interesting to others, so we wanted to share our proposal / current
implementation (and are also willing to provide the required patches).

Main idea is to modify the start scripts (including the service
wrappers?) to prefer a JVM inside the KARAF_HOME directory (ie.
runtime/jvm64, or just plain jvm in KARAF_HOME). Whenever such a
directory is present it is prefered over a JAVA_HOME env var or whatever
else is in the path.

Reason to also prefer it over JAVA_HOME is because if you run alongside
other Java applications on a server, JAVA_HOME might already be set for
other applications and the admin cannot change it.

At the moment we have implemented the above via custom setenv scripts we
ship which then sets JAVA_HOME to KARAF_HOME/runtime/jvm64. When
"wrapper:install" is called, this JAVA_HOME is taken to the wrapper
properties.

We spoke with the Instana[1] people as their agent is also Karaf based
and they were interested in it as well, so we know at least one other
Karaf user who would welcome that :)

Anyway, any feeback is welcome. Also of course the name of the
directory(ies) can be discussed.

Greetings
-Sascha-

[1]https://www.instana.com/