Hi,

got a question regarding Karaf 4.1 and JDK9 compatibility.
I've seen we had numerous issues regarding JDK9 for Karaf 4.1.
Is it our goal to have Karaf 4.1 runnable with JDK9?
If so, the ops4j community just came across some major drawbacks.

First it just seemed like we just need to bump the version for ASM in
Pax-Web [1][2][3] and everything is smooth, but it's not.

It turned out we also need another upgrade for ASM 6 in Aries [4], but
again this isn't the only thing.

It turns out, Jetty 9.3.x isn't compatible with JDK9, so an upgrade to
Jetty 9.4 might be needed.
Again this turns out to be more complex then first anticipated.
As it turns out, neither Jetty 9.3 nor 9.4 are ready to go for ASM 6, but
still rely on version 5 [5].
Not to speak of the need to bump Pax-Web to version 6.1 for using Jetty
9.4.

So how do we handle JDK9 for Karaf 4.1?
Is it our main goal to support JDK9 from head start?
If the answer is yes, we need to do a lot more then what we've done so far.
Just to mention one thing that needs to be done instantly, have a build
which uses JDK9 to run our tests. That should already cover most of the
issues we came across.
Also I would like to hold back the release for 4.1 for a while to make sure
we have all project we or our users depend on straightened for JDK9.

regards, Achim

[1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-4912
[2] - https://ops4j1.jira.com/browse/PAXWEB-1047
[3] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-4913