I haven't directly used Karaf in a couple years, so I can't speak to what
my old team did with my old app, but we had a hell of a time upgrading
between point releases of Karaf. Part of that was immaturity at the time in
automating our infrastructure, but another part was simply trying to
coordinate the underlying framework version across dozens of bundles got to
be a hot mess. It reminded me of upgrading major Java versions somewhat but
with more surprises. We also maintained a manual features list that we had
to keep up to date with our Maven and then later Gradle build; that was
irritating, but not as bad as it was when we first started writing the
application and were keeping versions in sync across even more places. The
speed of development (particularly in the ability to redeploy a single
bundle at a time), however, absolutely made up for the arcane process at
the time. I was hoping to eventually split up that application into smaller
.kar files to allow for easier deployments of the subsystems, but I never
had a chance to do that before I left, though I'm not even sure how well
that would've helped compared to just dropping jars in the deploy directory
for a more granular deployment.

I'm not sure how much you've used Kubernetes, but I wonder how well Karaf
Boot could work in that sphere. I still believe strongly in modularity and
the ecosystem around it, and if Karaf makes it easier to "migrate to the
cloud" so to say (and not just in a superficial matter; modularity should
help enforce boundaries that are explicitly needed in distributed systems),
then that could be a killer feature. The existing work with clustering
looks extremely relevant to this, though I'm not familiar with how that
interacts with k8s.

--
Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>