On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Luke Meyer <lme...@redhat.com> wrote:

> In the context of the vim-go plugin. However behavior seems much the same
> if I run the same command at the command line (I pulled it out of ps -ef).
>
> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Sebastian Jug <se...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Are you using guru in some sort of editor/IDE or just standalone?

>>> What does this mean in the context of go guru? Is there an env var to
>>> set, an option to add, a config file to change to control this behavior?

‚ÄčThe same query:

guru -scope github.com/openshift/origin/cmd/oc whicherrs
./pkg/oc/admin/diagnostics/diagnostics.go:#7624

was taking long enough for me (go1.8.3 darwin/amd64) that I killed it. It's
hard to say without doing a deeper profile of that guru command. Even with
your relatively narrow pointer analysis scope ‚Äčit seems really slow, but
then again it's hard to gauge exactly how narrow that scope is without
looking at a full import dependency graph...

Guru has always been really slow for lots of useful pointer analysis
queries, so I'm not entirely surprised. This is why vscode-go uses a
variety of more optimized special purpose tools for most analysis[1].

[1]
https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode-go/blob/master/src/goInstallTools.ts#L21

--

Dan Mace