Is it possible like described in kubernetes?

http://blog.kubernetes.io/2017/04/configuring-private-dns-zones-upstream-nameservers-kubernetes.html

We have few clients where they configured their own consul based DNS server and
not suing service discovery provided by Openshift. We build a custom solution
by adding these external zones and IP addresses to dnsmasq.conf. This approach
working but having few failures since it has to first check cluster zones by
honoring the order specified in /etc/resolve.conf and then forward to these
external DNS severs.

I saw a solution in Kubernetes 1.9 as an alpha feature  by letting clients to
configure their own DNS settings in POD definitions.

https://kubernetes.io/docs/concepts/services-networking/dns-pod-service/#pods-dns-config

Openshift clients need to wait till 3.9? or is there any way currently to solve
this problem?

--
Srinivas Kotaru