Hi Matt,

On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 at 19:35, Matt Sicker <m...@musigma.org> wrote:

> There was also the idea that if we introduce some form of a v3 API, it’ll be
> alongside the existing v2 API, not a breaking change.

Yes, that idea has also a PoC:
https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/pull/2215

However right now I prefer Volkan's idea since:

 1. Log4j 3.x **must** come out soon. I think everyone is tired of
discussions on 3.x. Let's publish it and move onto 4.x.
 2. Since the lifecycle of Log4j API and Log4j Core will be
independent, we can switch to Log4j API 3.x at some point in the
future. I would prefer to discuss Log4j API 3.x, based on some
statistical data on how other logging APIs are used (e.g. how many
parameters do people use) and on expert and user opinions. Right now
we risk to design a Log4j API that we will need to patch multiple
times in the future.

Piotr