Hi Christopher -

I do not believe there is any active work on this.  From what I
understand, the Tier implementation works OK within some constraints,
but we could not get it to pass more robust testing that the other
methods were using.

However, LatLonType and GeoHashField are well tested and work well --
the Tier type may have better performance when your index is really
large, but no active developers understand it and no-one has stepped
up to figure it out.

ryan