Unrelated for the vote, but since it came up: Oracle isn't the only
large corporation to employ high calibre skilled committers on the
OpenJDK project.
Oracle decides support of its own builds on its own terms, but Red Hat
for example supports the JVM for much longer to its customers, and
being an OSS friendly company any path which might get developed will
be included in some publicly available maintenance branch.

Disclaimer: I work for Red Hat but I'm just mentioning it as someone
passionate for Lucene; so I happen to have an idea of the intention of
my colleagues working on the OpenJDK project, but I am not
representing my employer on this matter: just wanted to point out that
after Oracle will end to support Java7, it's not forcing anyone to
move away from it, nor forcing to pay money.

In fact in my experience it's very common to find users of older
Lucene versions on much older JVMs, often supported JVM builds by
other vendors, and I don't expect this to change.

HTH

-- Sanne