On Thu, Apr 30, 2015, at 07:25 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : Once that's done, switching should just be a question of changing the
> : welcome-file in web.xml.
>
> My suggestion, along the lines of what we did with the previous UI
> change...
>
> 1) ensure that the new UI is fully functional in 5x using an alt path
> (believe this is already true?)
>
> 2) add an "Upgrading" note to CHANGES.txt for 5.2 directing people to
> the new "experimental" UI and the URL to access it, note that it
> will likely become the default in 5.3 and users are encouraged to try it
> out and file bugs if they notice any problems.
>
> 3) update trunk so that it *is* the default UI, and make the old UI
> available at some alternate path (eg "/solr/old_ui").  Add an Upgrading
> note pointing out that the URLs may be slightly different, and how to
> access the old UI if they have problems
>
> * backport trunk changes (#3) to 5x for 5.3 (or later if problems/delays
> pop up)
>

> : *Then* we can get on with things like a collections API page, an
> : "explains" viewer, etc, etc, etc.
>
> +1

Yes, the new UI is available via http://localhost:8983/solr/index.html.

Thanks, that helps. And I can add a 2a which is once 5.2 is out, ask for
feedback on the user list.

As to how URLs are managed, the web.xml welcome-file currently causes
http://localhost:8983/solr/ to point to admin.html. The new UI is
accessible via http://localhost:8983/solr/index.html. Switch the
welcome-file and the old UI will still be available via
http://localhost:8983/solr/admin.html for as long as we decide to leave
it there.

Otherwise, your plan looks good. I'll have until 5.2 is feature-frozen
to hunt for bugs/etc.

Upayavira