AngularJS 2.0 isn't fully baked yet, and is, as you suggest, a very
different beast. Given that level of change, you can expect a lot of 1.x
momentum once 2.0 is out.

The bulk of this project wasn't AngularJS coding, rather understanding
the intent of the existing code, and only then taking advantage of
AngularJS to make that clearer. Thus, any migration to AngularJS 2.0
should be simpler because of this work.

The lines of Javascript has approximately halved in this new impl, which
should make it all-round easier to maintain, in whichever way we choose
to take it.

Upayavira