Yeah, but it misses the point -- history is history, if there were
jars in it, you shouldn't just strip them, it'd be confusing.

How was it back when Lucene was merging with Solr? Didn't it just
initiate with a new clean repo? Maybe not all of the history is really
needed -- if we limited ourselves to, say, all of the history that
includes ivy then the size of the repo would drop significantly... but
again, to me size doesn't really matter at all; one initial clone is
no-cost. Go make yourself a cup of tea, come back and you're set.

Dawid