I like where this is going!

I also think history of source code is very important, but not history of
‘.jar’ files that shouldn’t have been in source control in the first
place.  I’m fiercely negative about large binaries or ‘jar’ files that can
be downloaded by the build system (e.g. ivy) in source control.  And it was
already mentioned a full history (.jar’s & all) could be kept somewhere
more for archival purposes — which is a good compromise, I think, since
“build-ability” of history should be retained (assuming it’s even still
possible, given Rob’s comments) but doesn’t have to be convenient (e.g. by
it being in a separate repo).   +1 to that!

If we were to come up with a new git repo that doesn’t have the ‘.jar’s,
it’d be good to also streamline the history prior to the big Lucene + Solr
merge due to the paths in source control as to where the trunk, branches,
and tags lived.  It appears the current repo may have been a blind git
import from subversion.  And hand-done process that is mindful of these
things would result in a nice history.  I’ve done this sorta thing once (a
project at my last job) and volunteer to do it here if we can get consensus
on a move to git.

~ David