On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Upayavira <u...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:01 +0000, "Alex Cowell" <alxc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Making it easy for clients I think is key... one should be able to
> update any node in the solr cluster and have solr take care of the
> hard part about updating all relevant shards.  This will most likely
> involve an update processor.  This approach allows all existing update
> methods (including things like CSV file upload) to still work
> correctly.
>
> Does that then imply that distributed indexing would become the default
> method of indexing?

Should be possible I think.  Seems nice to be able to use the exact
same update command w/o worrying if it's a cluster or not.

> What if a user, for some reason, wanted to only target
> one specific node in a cluster?

Yeah, that should always be possible too.
We could either utilize different URLs, or use a parameter.

> Surely it would be just the same as distributed search. If you provide a
> 'shards' request parameter, your content is distributed amongst shards. If
> you don't, it goes directly to the host you are posting to. Control remains
> in the hand of the person accessing Solr.

People sometimes set up a request handler like /search that sets
shards to the correct value by default.
Now with SolrCloud, one can also just use distrib=true and not worry
about the shards param at all.

Off the top of my head, the following make sense to me:
- target cluster (solr decides what shards the docs belong on, via
solr hash on id, or user supplied hash on id)
- target single solr core (i.e. a single physical shard)
- target logical shard (i.e. sort does not decide what shard these
docs live on, but does handle the distrib update to all replicas)

-Yonik
http://lucidimagination.com