On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 00:26 +0000, "William Mayor"
<m...@williammayor.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I've had a go at creating the ShardDistributionPolicy interface and a
> few implementations. I've created a patch
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2341) let me know what
> needs doing.

> Currently I assume that the documents passed to the policy will be
> represented by some kind of identifier and that one needs only to
> match the ID with a shard. This is better (I think) than reading the
> document from the POST and figuring out some kind of unique
> identifier?

Your code looks fine to me, except it should take in a SolrDocument
object or list of, rather than strings. Then, for your Hash version, you
can take a hash of the "id" field.

> A question we've had about this is who decides what policy to use and
> where do they specify? I'm inclided to think that the user (the person
> POSTing data) does not mind what policy is used but the administrator
> might. This leads me to think that the policy should be set in the
> solr config file? My collegues disagree that the user will not mind
> and would rather see the policy be specified in the url. We've noticed
> that request handlers can be specified in both so should we adopt this
> idea instead (and as a kind of comprimise :) ).

To stick with Solr conventions, you would specify the
ShardDistributionPolicy in the solrconfig.xml, within the configuration
of your DistributedUpdateRequestHandler, so in that sense, it is hidden
from your users and managed by the administrator.

However, if you follow this approach, an administrator could expose
multiple policies by having multiple DistributedUpdateRequestHandler
definitions in solrconfig.xml, with different URLs.

To give you an example, but for search rather than indexing:

  <requestHandler name="/dismax" class="solr.SearchHandler"
  default="true">
    <!-- default values for query parameters -->
     <lst name="defaults">
       <str name="defType">dismax</str>
     </lst>
  </requestHandler>

This will configure requests to http://localhost:8983/solr/dismax?q=blah

to be handled by the dismax query parser.

More relevant to you:

  <requestHandler name="/distrib" class="solr.SearchHandler"
  default="true">
    <!-- default values for query parameters -->
     <lst name="defaults">
       <str
       name="shards">http://localhost:8983/solr,http://localhost:7983/solr</str>
     </lst>
  </requestHandler>

This would, by default, distribute all queries to
http://localhost:8983/solr/distrib?q=blah across two Solr instances at
the URLs described.

For now, I'd say see if you can add a
distributionPolicyClass="org.apache.solr.blah" to define the class that
this updateRequestHandler is going to use.

To everyone else who got this far - please chip in if you see better
ways of doing this.

Upayavira

> All the best
>
> William
>
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Upayavira <u...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> > Lance,
> >
> > Firstly, we're proposing a ShardDistributionPolicy interface for which
> > there is a default (mod of the doc ID) but other implementations are
> > possible. Another easy implementation would be a randomised or round
> > robin one.
> >
> > As to threading, the first task would be to put all of the source
> > documents into "buckets", one bucket per shard, using the above
> > ShardDistributionPolicy to assign documents to buckets/shards. Then all
> > of the documents in a "bucket" could be sent to the relevant shard for
> > indexing (which would be nothing more than a normal HTTP post (or solrj
> > call?)).
> >
> > As to whether this would be single threaded or multithreaded, I would
> > guess we would aim to do it the same as the distributed search code
> > (which I have not yet reviewed). However, it could presumably be
> > single-threaded, but use asynchronous HTTP.
> >
> > Regards, Upayavira
> >
> > On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 15:09 -0800, "Lance Norskog" <goks...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> I would suggest that a DistributedRequestUpdateHandler run
> >> single-threaded, doing only one document at a time. If I want more
> >> than one, I run it twice or N times with my own program.
> >>
> >> Also, this should have a policy object which decides exactly how
> >> documents are distributed. There are different techniques for
> >> different use cases.
> >>
> >> Lance

> >> --
> >> Lance Norskog
> >> goks...@gmail.com

> > ---
> > Enterprise Search Consultant at Sourcesense UK,
> > Making Sense of Open Source

---