Not so much a problem as behavior I wasn't fully expecting. It does
seem a little trappy to have this thing that's supposed to be the
state of the collection but then require that another znode be
checked to see if state.json is telling the truth.

In the particular case that came up, a monitoring system was trying
to generate alerts when a node went down by relying on the state.json
znode, but no alert was being generated in this case.

BTW, this is 4.6, I suspect the eventual answer is to upgrade and
use the collections API CLUSTERSTATUS...

I don't have strong feelings about this, mostly throwing it out for
discussion. I suppose the goal here is to keep any client from having
to directly look at the state.json file and provide APIs that conceal
this kind of thing.

Your point about the complexity of publishing state for other nodes
is well taken...