Well, after LUCENE-2881 assigning the same fieldNumber to the same fieldName across segments is best effort - not guaranteed anymore. It looks like in most cases it works fine, just very rarely we get different field numbers. I don't see how we can improve the best effort, because I don't think we can assign field numbers on flush (like codecIDs)?

So the assert might be too strict now. It'd be good to disable the assert and see if the test still fails. I can't do that right now, but later tonight...

 Michael