The lfs cost at GitHub starts at >1Gb. Don’t know how much we have of historic
jars in our history. Also, as far as I understand, Apache is free to install
their own git-lfs server, so the repository will use an Apache-operated server
for storing the large files instead of GitHub’s own storage service. Since we
don’t check in jars anymore, this would be a one-time sync to populate lfs, and
then git clients will get small pointer files in pace of the large files, and
will need to install git-lfs and run "git lfs fetch” in order to replace these
with proper binaries.

However, until we know more about why the svn-git mirroring breaks, we cannot
say whether LFS would help at all.

If we migrate to git (which I’m totally in favor of), I guess LFS could be a
way to migrate ALL history at a lower cost, so new users can clone the whole
repo faster. It will be the “git lfs fetch” stage that takes time if the user
chooses to fetch various large files. For normal usage of current branches it
will not be necessary. Win win.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com