I like the idea of doing a 5.5 Git-based release, your points about
separating the pain of the first Git build and a major release are
well taken, thanks for thinking about it!

My only comment is that 5.5 coming just a few days after 5.4.x seems
pretty short, but maybe it'll take a month to get the first Git build
ironed out anyway...

As always, though, when I'm not doing the work so it's not my decision.