Gotta echo Joel, I just want to get through my first commit here.
Yonik's outline is along the lines of what I'm looking for. For
newcomers (including newcomers to Git like me), this discussion is a
little analogous to someone asking "how do I write to a file in Java"
and having the discussion dive into the pros and cons of the zillion
different things you can do with writing data to some disk somewhere;
options for binary, text, character set, buffered, flushed, fsync'd,
and on and on. Each and every one of the options discussed has a very
good use case, but is hard to absorb all at once.

The "How to Contribute" page needs to be updated; I'll be happy to
volunteer to create/edit a "Git commit process". I can bring the
newbie's ignorant perspective to bear on it, doing all the dumb things
that newbies do. Trust me on this, I can misinterpret even the
simplest of instructions.

And do note that it's perfectly OK IMO to have multiple ways of doing
things, so this more along the lines of recommendations than
requirements. I'm not interested in "the one true way". I _am_
interested in "how do I keep from messing this up completely".

I'm envisioning a few sections here.
>Your first Git commit
>> steps for method 1
>>> backporting to 5x
>> steps for method 2
>>> backporting to 5x

> Advanced issues
>> advanced issue 1
>> advanced issue 2

Of course we have to reach some consensus on what acceptable  "method
for newbies" are, which is much of what this discussion is about.

Erick