Sure, it will all hinge on the uptake of 6.x vs. demand for features in 5.x
from sites who feel that they cannot easily upgrade to 6.x. But in any
case, it seems reasonable for there to be a distinct bias in favor of
people migrating to 6.x for new features rather than divert attention from
6.x, and that new features should be optimized for 6.x rather than
dumbed-down to remain compatible with 5.x.

Sure, practicality may well force a 5.6, but as you say, we haven't gotten
to that bridge yet. I mean, is anybody proposing a list of urgent features
that should go in 5.x rather than 6.x?

It does seem clear that the technical possibility of a 5.6 remains even
though the clear bias and expectation is that 6.x is where people should be
looking for new features.

Personally, I don't think we will have a clear answer until we get to 6.1 -
at that point it will be reasonably clear whether demand for enhancement of
5.x is really there or not.

I say all of this presuming that 6.0 is imminent within the next few weeks.
It seems reasonable to have feature releases (minor releases) on a monthly
basis, so if 6.0 is not out a month from now, then a 5.6 would be a very
reasonable expectation.

-- Jack Krupansky