On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It appears there are some problems with modularization of the code,
> especially between lucene and solr, so I would like for us to have a
> discussion on this thread.

The specifics of each case matter of course.

As a general point, lucene and solr merged as equals, and
the domain of neither project was diminished by this.  Refactored
code is shared code and goes into modules.  Some of the refactored
code has been changed to use the lucene namespace, and it
seems only fair that other code that has traditionally been the
domain of Solr keep the solr namespace.  This helps
keep the proper mindset that code is not being moved "from
solr to lucene" as too many people keep putting it, but it's being
exposed to lucene users and is now shared.

As this relates to LUCENE-2883, I don't think there's really
much disagreement.  Factor out a function query module,
and make it a Solr module (i.e. use the solr namespace) to
set expectations appropriately, since this is still
core solr code.  All the function query goodness is
exposed to lucene users w/o the full solr stack, and everyone is good!
Someone does need to do the work though... there's been no patch.

-Yonik