I also agree with Alex regarding tagging the issues and perhaps if
possible/known, tag the effort/complexity level (high, medium, easy or
beginner/seasoned etc.) that new comers can also contribute. This may help
to get the low-hanging fruits to get done quicker and close some of them.

Thanks,
Susheel