I think we should just make FacetsCollector robust if you pass a
limit=0?  Under the hood, it should use a TotalHitCountCollector
instead.  Can you open a Lucene Jira issue?
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/lucene

Alternatively, or maybe in addition, FacetsCollector should have
search methods that only take a Collector and not an "int n", so you
can pass your own TotalHitCountCollector.

In the limit=0 case you are still passing the same "int n" down to
FacetsCollector.search, as "first + limit", so shouldn't that case
also hit the same exception?

I'm not sure why you see different facet results in the two branches.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com