On May 4, 2011, at 8:25 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Can you give some more details on your disagreement here...?
>
> Are there certain modules from my list that you don't think should be
> modules?  The timeframe (1-2 years) is too optimistic/aggressive?  Or
> you disagree that we should poach from outside projects too...?

I don't necessarily disagree with your goals - I'm just saying those are not my
goals.

I think just like minix vs linux (should I mention hurd for stallman?), there
are tradeoffs when trying to tackle some of these things modules style vs
monolithic style. Yes, an OS is not Lucene/Solr, I'm going for more connotation
than anything here.

Now, if some people came in and just did things module style in a way that
matches the monolithic style (quality, feature wise), and they do that module
after module, that is one thing. But I think that is indeed a daunting task,
and I think there are a lot of other things to focus on. The end result is not
even any guarantee - we seem just as likely to end up with a mess of modules
with all kinds of crazy interdependencies. It's really easy to say, yeah,
everything should be a module, sounds great, but there are large practical
issues there. And from an open source project perspective, it's all even harder
to plan. That's why I'm so about case by case.

I think poaching compatible license open source code is always okay.

> Or, more generally, you don't think Solr benefits from being opened up
> / modularized?

I think there would be benefits for many types of modules. And perhaps some
downsides for some depending on the developers involved and how long they stay
involved, and some of the interdependency issues that seem likely. Overall, I'm
not terribly concerned about modules - they are not on my short term priority
list (Analyzers would be for sure though, thanks Robert!).

On the one hand, you might think, well other Lucene users could take advantage
of more of this stuff - and I see that as something kind of nice myself - but
they already can use this stuff too - use Solr. So it's just not on the tip of
my priority poll. I happily accept others are more concerned about it.

To wrap up, like I've said a million times, I'm not against modules. I also
just don't share that same long term vision right now I guess.

Side note (plug): I have been playing with the benchmark module (who did that
module? I had missed it), and I've got some cool stuff to show at Berlin
Buzzwords this year for my solr performance talk!