Hi Rory,

Thank you for heads-up. I installed JDK 8 update 144 and Java 9 build 181 a
minute ago. Once the first runs have succeeded, I'll report back.

About the current state:
- Apache Lucene 6.6 and the coming Apache Lucene 7.0 is fully comliant to Java
9 and works with "--illegal-access=deny", so the "kill switch" is not needed.
- Apache Solr 6.6 and Apache Solr 7.0 work (Java wise), but the startup (shell)
scripts don't detect the Java version correctly. I think a fix is in the make
(for Windows and Linux). But if you ignore the startup scripts and do it
yourself, it works. We applied some fixes for third party libraries that don't
work correctly (e.g. Hadoop in the version we use).

Older Solr and Lucene versions may still have problems, as the Module system
changed some internal APIs we need for unmapping files, but generally they
should work, but not everything might be with best performance (e.g. it chooses
slow NIOFSDirectory instead on memory mapping).

We currently do not support Lucene with Automodules, so you *have* to use
Lucene on classpath. The reason is that the JAR files share same packages. So
you cannot make modules out of Lucene or Solr. We may support this in later
versions, but that's not an important reason for us. You can still combine all
of Lucene and Solr and make one huge "Uber Module" out of it (and that's what I
personally recommend), but that's up to the user.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen