Hi,

the reason to mention it is mainly: Java 9 comes out tomorrow! So it’s
important in that sense. The Java world is looking at the release of Java 9
tomorrow, so if we have our own release at the start – just in time, I’d make
the link explicit. So I’d also hurry up with the release so it comes out today
and not tomorrow, Sept 21.

On top of this, upgrading to Java 9 is recommended, because there should be
significant speed improvements when using MMapDircetory (default) and DocValues
(as it eliminates lots of bounds checks during optimization). Of course, this
depends on your usage of Solr/Lucene.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler