I won’t speak for Jan and Uwe who worked on the patches there, but my feeling
is that it was specifically intended - the CHANGES entry for SOLR-9450 says as
much.

Changes.html & associated files are built with the same ant target
(“documentation”) that builds javadocs. I think it was assumed that everyone
knew that (or would investigate if they had an interest), and would understand
that removing javadocs and replacing it with a single file would also remove
Changes.html from the /docs directory in the package.