On 9/30/2019 6:59 AM, Ishan Chattopadhyaya wrote:
I propose that we rename SolrCloud mode to "cluster mode" such that
there shall be "Apache Solr", running in either "standalone mode" or
"cluster mode". We can effect this renaming 9.0 onwards, if we have
consensus.

I am open to any other proposal as well, so long as we drop the "cloud" in the name.

I see your point, but I think that "cloud" is so entrenched in the overall consciousness of the software that changing it will not be easy.

Maybe it might be something we could accomplish slowly, over the rest of 8.0's lifetime and the entire 9.0 lifetime. Begin changing the terminology we use in communication, start shifting documentation and code, with a hard cutover in a later major version, perhaps 10.0 or 11.0.

The level of effort involved would be considerable, whether it happens quickly or slowly. It might be the kind of thing we just don't want to try and do.

I'm not opposed to the idea, and I might even be able to help, but it's going to need a lot of buy-in from those of us who work on Solr.

Thanks,
Shawn