On 5/10/2020 3:41 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
I think the costs (I agree: they are high) are a one-time thing, while the benefits are long term, and accrue/multiply with time.  We should make decisions like this with the long-term benefits in mind.

I expect Lucene and Solr to have long healthy lives ahead, and that means this one-time cost will eventually be amortized and made miniscule/negligible compared to the long-term benefits to both projects.

+1

I think that those with a primary interest in Lucene would be strongly in favor of this split. I think the presence of Solr in the codebase has diluted Lucene's releases, making them come far too quickly. I would bet that without Solr, Lucene would probably be somewhere in 6.x, not 8.x.

My personal interests are with Solr. I have little interest in Lucene code. I think it would be beneficial in both directions to have them be separate.

To protect against the divergence which prompted the joining of the two codebases, I do think it would be a good idea for a few committers to remain with both projects, but I can say unequivocally that if the projects split, I will only want to keep those privileges on a new Solr TLP.

Thanks,
Shawn