Without reading much or replying to any specific points made on this thread,
here's my raw thoughts on this age-old topic.... (finally  coming out of my
cocoon after taking things in for a bit)

Solr is a search -server- with distributed capabilities, that leverages the
magic of Lucene underneath.  Solr depends on Lucene, is a consumer of it.
Lucene is a tight search -library- with little to no external dependencies.
Their purposes and end-users are different.

I was never really for the grand unification of Lucene and Solr back in the day
because:

  - Solr's developer experience would be greatly streamlined, faster, cleaner,
leaner, and focused
  - Having Lucene change when Solr doesni't (yet) adapt to those changes leads
to confusion and inconsistency, loose wires hanging out of the wall unconnected
or duct taped together
  - It simply makes sense to keep Lucene versioned and tightly controlled for
upgrades, various testing configurations varying Lucene versions, within Solr
  - Solr could have a very concerted upgrade effort for Lucene capability
jumps, with a focused upgrade effort at the changed/improved/added touch points
just like other dependencies within Solr (like Tika and Jetty)

Those points all kinda say the same thing.... Solr depends on "lucene.jar" and
I'm in the camp that thinks Solr and Lucene development, communities, and
end-users/consumers would all greatly benefit from a fancy new TLP and focused
community for solr.apache.org <http://solr.apache.org/> and a tight(er)
relationship with the Lucene community as an involved and vested consumer.

        Erik