Should we have one?

With 9x having java 11 and gradle migrations on the dev side, and about to
have a significant round of deprecations/removals and migrations to plugin
for things such as CDCR, DIH etc (see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13442 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14022) some of which may(?) need
a replacement (i.e. CDCR?) or ways ot easily re-enable (i.e. streaming)
before 9x is able to be released. Plus there's been talk of a revamped UI...

I'm worried that there is a danger that 9x will continue to diverge and
pick up major changes, but always have something big in progress and never
be able to release.

Perhaps we should attempt to put a box around the things that need to
happen for 9x, and begin targeting any larger projects that come up at 10x?
Among other things the gradle work probably can't be complete until someone
has gone through a release using it. (I don't think we build the tarballs
in gradle yet for example, unless that got added recently)

-Gus

--
http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
http://www.the111shift.com (play)