Hmmm, that’s kind of an dilemma then. Are you saying that
he test can see that the directory appears writable then tries
to write to it then gets tripped up by the framework?

Seems to me that a test that tries to write, thinks it can and then
can’t should fail anyway.

Well, I don’t think there are very many tests that have this problem
anyway, so maybe I can examine them one-by-one and not
introduce new failures...