There's a JIRA issue about this from 5 years ago:
I don't recall seeing any resistance to the idea of having the JSON
Faceting module act as a back-end to the front-end (API surface) of Solr's
common/classic/original/whatever faceting API.  I don't think that simple
API should go away; it's strength is simple/common cases that are
comparatively verbose in the JSON one.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley