There are no good reasons to do Java 17 and it is way too early.

Reagrding real optimizations, Lucene 17 is unfortunately not containing Project
Panama or Vector API, so it looks more like Java 18/19 is a good candidate as a
new minimum at a later stage.

I’d release Lucene 9 with Java 11 (which is LTS) and then decide later if we
update to some post-17 version to get the new vector and panama APIs (vector
search, SIMD and also MMapDirectory v2). If we do this, we should simply
release Lucene 10.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler