The milestone looks appealing since it is prominent and relatively easy to
use. The only drawback I have heard is that it is single valued. It still
seems we could use it to document the first version in which something is
released, although it wouldn't be possible to record other releases into
which a fix it feature is back ported.

I'm not entirely sure how we use this released in / fixed in information. I
understand users would like to be able to answer the question did release
x.y include this change. Did we also use it for release management? Like
looking for blockers to release some version?  I think the former needs all
the versions and we could not support, but the latter only needs a single
version?