I was actually using a solrconfig.xml that is too old for this version.

catalina.out  gave me some erros on <indexDefaults> and <mainIndex>, so I
took the solrconfig.xml from your alpha package and it worked fine.

I haven't been able to totally check everything yet because I am using a
Solrj 3.6 indexing client and I had some content type issues in
catalina.out. I am working on it.