Hi, currently the trunk is going to be the version 5.0. The version 4.0
hasn't been released yet, but there is a branch (branch_4x) created for it.
There is also a branch for 3.6.1 (lucene_solr_3_6 I think) that's only for
bug fixes.

The general way of working is providing patches for the different versions
where the patch should be applied. You almost always want to apply the
patch to the trunk. Some of them should also be applied to 4.0 (everything
but big changes I would say) and bug fixes to 3.6.

Tomás