: > just brought this up on #lucene-dev .. the SOlr 3.6.0 javadocs are gone from
: > the site, and all javadoc URLs were broken as a result
:
: they aren't broken: i fixed all these api/ links across the website.
: where is a broken link?

Until i added the redirect in .htaccess (so they would start pointing to
hte 4.0-alpha docs), java URLs like this one (from google, the wiki,
bookmarks, blogs, etc...) were all broken...

http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/schema/ExternalFileField.html

: > past discussion when we switched to the cms and then released 3.6 was that
: > we would start versioning the solr javadocs just like the lucene-core
:
: -1 to the Release Manager doing refactoring on the website. RM does
: releasing. If people want to refactor things from unversioned to
: versioned, do that separately please. RM already has enough to do.

Who the fuck said anything about expecting the RM to refactor the website?

i didnt expect you to do anything special with the javadocs, just
upload the new ones (which i know was a big ass fucking pain and i
appreciate how much time/effort you put into dealing with it) and then
other people (like me) could volunteer to add markdown pages, fix links,
etc...

if it really bothered you that the 3.6.0 javadocs were using the url
"/solr/api" and you wanted them to be something else that's fine, you
could have done an "svn mv" at anytime -- that didn't have to be something
you took it upon yourself to do as the release manager.

My concerns are/were simply:

a) the solr 3.6 javadocs should still be online at some path for the
forseeable future -- just like hte lucene-core 3.6 javadocs are.

b) we shouldn't break existing URLs -- since the "/solr/api/..."
URLs have been arround for a long time, and are linked to from lots
of places, we should do what we can to make sure they always redirect to
somewhere useful.

I'm happy to deal with all of this, i'm just asking folks to not delete
valid and useful docs fro mthe website.  if you don't like the URL/path,
then move them, but please don't delete them.

: > javadocs, and have both the latest 3.6.X and 4.X versions on the site at
: > distinct urls -- the goal being that
: > "http://lucene.staging.apache.org/solr/api"; could always redirect to the
: > latest.
:
: I don't like that: lucene doesnt need this. why does solr?

Because the URL has always existed and people use it.  it needs to
point/redirect somwhere, and it's trivial (by editing .htaccess) for it to
point to the "most revent" version, so we might as well to that.

-Hoss