is there any way to get ByteRef from a field originally stored as String?

I am playing with Sorter to implement  StoredDocSorter, analogous to
NumericDocValuesSorter.  But  realised I do not need ByteRef - > String
conversion just to compare fields  (byte order would be as good for sorting)

StoredDocument d1 = reader.document(docID1, fieldNamesSet);
String value1 = d1.get("fieldName")
String value1 = d1.getStringAsBytesValue("fieldName")// would love to have it

I need String type in other places, so indexing as byte[] would be too much
hassle.

String is internally stored as byte[], no reason not to expose it for
StoredField (or any other type)?