No no, not irony at all. I misunderstood the first time. You wrote "is
there any way to get ByteRef from a field originally stored as String?", so
I understand the first thing that came to mind :).

But I understand the question now -- you say that since the String field is
written as byte[] in the file, you want to read the byte[] as they are,
without translating them to String. right?

I don't know if it's possible. I'd try field.binaryValue(), though looking
at the impl it doesn't suggest it will do what you want.

Shai