On Jul 23, 2013, at 4:07 PM, Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to finalize some of the documentation for the release of
> the docs that'll
> happen Real Soon Now so I need to nail these down.
>
> How close are these definitions for the following parameters?
>

> leaderVoteWait - when SolrCloud is starting up, how long we'll wait
> before assuming that
> no leader will identify itself.

No, this is how long the system will wait on startup to see all the known
replicas for a shard show up. This is to be sure they all participate in the
election and the best candidate is chosen. This is protection against bringing
back a stale shard on a cluster restart and having it become leader right off.

> genericCoreNodeNames - I have no idea.

This makes it so that node names are not based on the address of the node, but
on a generic core_nodename_n (or something like that). When a different machine
takes over serving that core, things will be much less confusing.

> managementPath - no clue

I think this might be dead - i see a bit of code around picking it up, but
nothing that does anything with it.

> roles - why do I care to set this parameter?

Future param for SolrCloud or a way for users to mark nodes for their own use.

> coreNodeName - how is this different than name? Is it something anyone
> should mess with
> and why?

For SolrCloud - let's you specifically label a name rather than have them
generated for you (either by address or the generic names from the
genericCoreNodeNames setting. This let's you allow a different machine to take
over for a core that already has a node name and was served from a different
machine.

> logging watcher threshold - No clue what this does.

Seems to be the default log level the UI will use if you don't want it to be
WARN.

- Mark