Guys,

as you know, my ability to contribute is very limited lately, so i don't
feel like my opinion is worth as much as that of a regular committer or
contributor. In the end people who contribute things should decide what
works for them.

I just put forward a warning that while normally this workflow would not be
a problem IF people are aware of the flow and start their work off the dev
branch,  based on my git/github experience, a newbie WILL fork from master
to a private PR branch of her/his own to commence contribution work.

Which, according to proposed scheme, WILL be quite behind the dev branch
that she will then be asked to merge to.

Which WILL catch the unsuspecting contributor unawares. They will find
they'd have a significant divergence to overcome in order to attain the
mergeability of their work.