Well I guess this is more than what I expect from a ping, and had silently
followed the discussion. I have also talked with community developers of OOo
(non oracle employees that work on the OOo project). And have discussed OOos
future and also internal systems that now seems to be like a being in an
isolated chamber of a sinking ship. Sure you are isolated from the noise,
but the whole infrastructure is starting to come to a halt.

The issue here is how much of the infrastructure really depend on Oracle's
infrastructure where admins stop managing the process and build machines
stop producing new builds.

At the same time, I do share some of the views on how to move forward. My
personal view (which is not set in stone) is that OOo will need to either
start generating infrastructure on the hands of the community and out of
Oracle's management.

I do have my questions regarding the whole topic of money, sure we do need
money, but I doubt we need 10m like louis mentions. I also doubt is worth to
do mostly a maintenance. And have been looking the other way which is
dismantle the software, re-engineer the processes on more modern language
and be able to adapt pieces of it to more flexible paradigm of development.

Other teams like Mozilla did this with Mozilla's original browser. And cost
around 2 years of quiet period and just minor releases until Firefox came to
town.

OOo has very old html engine, very old graphic engine and also seems that
most of the efforts in the past (UX, www-at-odf) didn't really make an
impact on the application. I don't think this was a lack of will but rather
a lack of communication between the company to recruit contributions. I
think one big fault of OOo is the lack of power to consolidate contributions
from developers."The year of the developer" never really came and we are
still stuck on thinking money first and code second. Which is what I think
leadership should shift to a more development centric manner.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español