Hoping this is not the end of surefire/failsafe plugin nor Maven.

Yeah, my impression from Maven is that it is "static" however introduced
regular practices, the users hit us with many requests.

For me it means that I try to handle the request immediately in JIRA and
resolve it. It gives me chance to understand the user and to be synchronized
with him which is positive but the same work will cut my private time.

We decreased the #bug quite a lot, but it's clear to me that it's not very
user friendly communication to ask me for making a new hack and therefore my
impression is that it was good style 10 years ago, but today the situation
is different we should really uncover the API in a convenient way for the
users.

My impression is same for Maven core and default Maven plugins as well.