regarding failing or not failing (that's the question):

IMHO, it would be useful to create Maven reports: as a first step, adding
maven-jdeps-report as report will help people be aware of the state of their
code and publishing it inside their site without taking any fix action at the
moment

concrete use case: I'd like to add this to the Maven parent pom to have jdeps
report for every future release

And I can even dream one step beyond: then add a dist-tool-plugin report to
get an overview of the state of our full codebase, like [1] :)

this dream should not be that hard to happen

Regards,

Hervé

[1]
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/dist-tool-plugin/site/dist-tool-prerequisites.html